It is an imposing fortress begun around 1392 and finished after 1463 by the Piccolomini who, having received the investiture of the County of Celano, contributed to transforming the essentially military building castle into a comfortable stately home.
The outer fortified wall contains a rectangular central body with four elegant crenellated corner towers. The building is attributed to Count Pietro Berardi who in 1392 completed the walls and the first two floors of the castle. The construction was completed by Lionello Acclozamora who in 1451 built the noble floor. Currently the castle is home to the National Museum of Sacred Art of the Marsica and is home to the Torlonia and Antichità del Fucino Collection.